Two examples Contracts – one for you and one for your children
1. I will make or find a list of recommended sites for my children to visit.
2. I promise not to use a computer or the Internet as an electronic babysitter.
3. I will try to get to know my child’s online friends and “buddy list” contacts, just as I try to get to know their other friends.
4. I will frequently check to see where my children have visited on the Internet.
5. I will set reasonable rules and guidelines for computer use by my children and will discuss these rules, posting them near the computer as a reminder. I will monitor for compliance with these rules, especially when it comes to the amount of time my children spend on the computer.
6. I will report suspicious or illegal activities to the proper authorities.
7. I will provide my children with opportunities for other types of entertainment and recreation involving outdoor and/or physical activity.
8. I will seek out options for blocking and filtering inappropriate Internet content for my children
9. I will not overreact if my child tells me about a problem they are having on the Internet, but will work with them to solve the problem and prevent it from happening again.
10. I will put the home computer in a family area.
I agree to the above.
1. I will not give my name, address, phone number, school, or my parents’ names, address or phone number; to anyone I meet on the computer.
2. I will never, ever meet with anyone I’ve talked to online without getting my parent’s permission first.
3. If my parents ask me for my passwords, I will give them to them. I will NEVER give out my passwords or any of my family’s passwords to anyone else, not even friends or other family members.
4. I will not try to win free things or buy things on the Internet without my parents’ permission. If I get a message that I won something, I will show it to my parents. If I get emails asking for private information, I will also show my parents
5. I will use good manners when online, including clean language and respect for others. I will not pick fights or use mean words.
6. I know my parents will supervise my time online and use software to monitor or limit where I go online. I understand they are doing this because they love me and want to protect me.
7. I will never enter a site that says I must be 18 years old to enter.
8. I will never download games, music or videos without parental consent, as I know many viruses can infect our computer this way.
9. I will never click on any links in emails or open attachments from people or sources I am not familiar with.
10. I will limit my time on the Internet to:____________a day, excluding homework.
I agree to the above.